Monday 22 July 2013

Oh hello, Steampunk!

Welcome to the world of Steampunk!
Imagine an alternate universe where romance and technology reign. A world of automations, ornate clockworks and time travel, where scientists and dreamers, intrepid orphans and schoolgirls, solve dastardly crimes, escape from monstrous predicaments and hover over volcanos in steam-powered airships.




These were the words written behind a carelessly dropped book in a bookstore I went to recently. I took a look at these words, and thus was introduced, unawarely, to the world of steampunk.

Steampunk is a sub genre of science fiction. It basically revolves around machines, or steam powered machines, life like machines, clockworks, making the impossible - possible, via simple yet amazing mechanical jobs, by gifted engineers. The 14 stories I read in this anthology (a compilation of stories) were pretty interesting. All of them were pretty weird, morbid. But every story left some sort of an impact on me. Science fiction was always my favourite genre. Anything becomes possible.

I'm always smitten by any book that I read. But as I retrospect, this book wasn't all that amazing. I did have problems understanding a few stories from this book for they were based in an entirely different culture all together. But never the less, I was introduced to the world of steampunk, and it's actually pretty interesting! Of course there are so many more steampunk based stories out there.

There are plenty of movies based on steampunk too! I had watched quite a few without even realising it. The Golden Compass, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Stardust, Around the world in 80 days, The Prestige, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Hugo, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (still have to watch this one), are all that include elements of steampunk.

This genre is indeed very interesting! The internet is filled with steampunk art. Some of them are way too beautiful. Here are a few of them.












So there you have it. The steampunk that I know of through my little tinkering with the internet. But I'm sure this genre has a lot more to offer. With time, perhaps, I shall discover more.



Sources: 
www.deviantart.com
www.google.com

4 comments:

  1. I just discovered steampunk late last night through an online halloween costume store, surprisingly. I must say, I am blown away with what the subgenre offers. I never knew there was a name for this neo-Victorian retro futurism. I love my utopias and dystopias as much as the next person but this is something else entirely. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! :)
      And, yes. Utopias, or dystopias, steampunk can offer both. It's pretty interesting indeed. :)

      Delete
  2. Also wondering if you could post the source for the second photo

    ReplyDelete