Sunday 4 November 2012

Let's go to the mall - Today!

I'm at a mall! Malls make me happy!

Take this food court, for example, The grandparents gladly chatting with their grand-daughter while she munches on the McD burger, that occasional young couple - obviously on a date, a small family with quarrelling siblings, a tired business man staring into his laptop with dire eyes, the small kid tugging onto his mothers hand while crying tears of frustration, a stout man devouring the extra large sandwich with complete dedication. All these people, they make me so glad! This is why sometimes, I absolutely adore crowded places. People are so different, yet so similar at the same time. Blame the ambience or the music, malls make me feel like as if I were a part of a slow movie. A slice of life!


Everyone is dissolved in their own tiny, yet infinite worlds. I wonder if anyone inside this enormous building is thinking along the same lines as me!


Malls are just one of those mediums, using which the nuclear families can move out of their urban households, and take a break from the hectic life. The feeling will not amount to the fun one might have in natural surroundings, but it feels good to realise that people would still like to take time out of their busy lives to do spend time with the ones they love, or doing things that they love to do!


Also, if you're living in the city for more than 17 years, the fact that you might bump into an old friend in a mall, during weekend, is as probable as not being able to find an empty seat in the food court during rush hours. Almost certain. And yes. I did meet an old friend! Came across a not - so - familiar senior student at my college too; but I chose awkward ignorance over awkward smiles. Silly me. Should have greeted him with a huge pat on his back... But then, he probably didn't know me. (Ignooooooore.)


The other best part, well, one of my favourite part in a mall, is the book store. I learned far more about the world sitting in that small comfy corner than I usually do while sitting in front of the laptop all day long. Fact: Toy Story saved Steve Jobs's career. Like whaaaa? Fascinating, isn't it? It's just one of the few things I learned today.


The concept of a mall is bloody brilliant. The days when they were considered to only be a shopping hub are far gone! The mall is now a place filled with grandparents, smart teens, crying infants, and workaholics - all seeking a days break, relaxing, learning, shopping... Or yawning. (Hello there, Mr. tired janitor!)


It's no secret. For those who embrace crazy, mall's are the perfect new playgrounds.



  • Walk backwards on an escalator. (You're a failure in life if you haven't tried this one yet!)
  • Wink at that clueless child in a non pedophile, yet cute way.
  • If... (Or if not) you're a girl: Bat your eyelashes and pretend to be Julia Roberts while looking at that oh so hot - yet unattainable - guy with model like features.
  • Talk to a salesman and share his grief regarding the thick headed customers.
  • Skid and slip on the marble floors!
  • Use the hand dryer in the washroom to blow dry your hair. (Works perfectly.) Try it next when the room is crowded. A sure shot way to make people giggle. (While smoothening your hair at the same time!)

I left the mall with a heavy heart. I guess I'll be coming here again, soon.
While leaving the premises, make sure you turn back and offer the building a genuine salute. The mall is the brand new urban temple after all! For all sections of the society to hop in and partaaaay all day long. ^_^

1 comment: